Posted in Uncategorized, tagged breakfast on March 30, 2012 |
9 Comments »
This week I have been experimenting with new weekday breakfasts. With the weather heating up, I decided to retire my usual pumpkin or banana oatmeal and move onto less hearty fare. I woke up on Monday with a breakfast conundrum. I have been so used to my oatmeal routine that I didn’t know what to have! So each day this week I’ve tried out a few different combinations. Yesterday, I finally found a winner.
Let’s recap the process.
Peanut butter and banana toast.
Almond butter toast (wonky stomach this morning).
Cheerios and fresh strawberries (!) with almond milk.
Now, coming into Thursday, my two favorite breakfasts had been the banana toast and the cereal with strawberries. So…I combined the elements and – ding ding ding!
Cheerios and banana with almond milk.
Thank goodness! It was exhausting for me to have to think up different breakfasts. Yes, I’m serious. I don’t want to think too hard about what I’m eating most mornings.
I just realized that this is also the same breakfast my dad eats during the week. I guess we all become our parents at some point.
Jam of the day: Norah Jones “Happy Pills”
Read Full Post »
Posted in Uncategorized on March 28, 2012 |
10 Comments »
…is an accurate descriptor for my mental state lately.
…is also an accurate descriptor for my delicious afternoon snack yesterday!
Here’s what. I haven’t scrambled an egg in, like, five years. I tried one time and it was a disaster. You see, my mom makes the most phenomenal scrambled eggs. If I were going to invite you all for a home-cooked meal at my mom’s, I wouldn’t ask her to make you meatloaf or macaroni. You know what I’d ask her to make. It’s all in the technique, and she’s got it. My mom’s scrambles are soft and fluffy; my attempt was hard and chewy. I do not like an overcooked egg.
Recently I have been loving eggs as a late afternoon snack. They seem to satisfy me without making me too full for dinner. I usually fry them or boil them, but yesterday I was feeling daring. So, inspired by this lovely lady, I scrambled. And it wasn’t a disaster!
2 scrambled eggs with spinach.
Hey, I conquered a fear! Still not as good as my mom’s, but darn close.
Jam of the day: Bobby Darin “Mack the Knife”
Read Full Post »
Posted in Uncategorized on March 27, 2012 |
13 Comments »
I love the idea of a life with no rules. It just sounds so bad-ass and wonderful, doesn’t it?
Well, I can’t do it. I have some rules that I always follow (okay, there are some exceptions but they are very rare).
- I cannot wear pajamas outside the house. I know I’m a college student, but I need to be dressed when I’m going to class, to the store, across the street – I don’t care! I’m becoming okay with yoga pants outside of the house, but even that took a while.
- I write my name on the top of every paper for school. Really, this serves no purpose, but I do it anyway. I can’t seem to get over the elementary school habit of writing your name on things.
- Dishes must be washed the day they were dirtied. I hate waking up to dirty dishes in the sink. They are gross. On a side note, silverware is washed first, cups and bowls second, plates third, and pots and pans last.
- I lock my apartment door and my car door as soon as I get in. I started locking my apartment door this year since I was living without roommates for the first time, and the car door thing began after my mom made me take a self-defense class before going away to school and I learned some pretty nasty statistics.
- I must brush my teeth before I go to bed. I didn’t know people didn’t do this until I got to college. I also carry floss and a toothbrush in my backpack. I am a fan of onions but I don’t like chewing gum, so there you go.
- I sleep with socks on. Even in the summer. If I don’t have them on I usually wake up in the middle of the night and sleepwalk to my dresser. This can be dangerous.
There are probably a lot more than that, but I think any more than six would be too much to handle on a Tuesday morning!
Do you have any specific “rules” that you follow?
PS – glad you all love Birdy as much as I do! I still can’t get enough!
Jam of the day: Birdy “People Help the People”
Read Full Post »